Friday, July 18, 2014

And so it begins...

I finally got to see my new room last week, but I could only briefly look in as they were getting ready to wax the floors.  :(  However, my building manager said they would be done and my classroom ready for me by the following Wednesday :)  I texted him Wednesday morning and he said my room was ready and I could come in anytime and start working in it!  YAY!!!  Since they didn't know what I wanted done with the furniture yet, everything was just put into the middle of the room for the time being.



This is what I walked into my room to see.  One wall is a pretty golden yellow while the rest of the room is white.  I have 27 cubbies along the left wall leading up to the sink/drinking fountain area followed by several closets.  Along the far wall I have a regular white board and a Promethean board (which I don't know how to work yet, but I am super excited to learn!).  In the far corner is my desk area and a wall of windows that face our playground.  I will probably have to make some curtains for the bottom of the windows so my friends don't get distracted looking at the playground all day.  Finally in the back corner, I have a HUGE storage closet, 4 student computers, a student bathroom, and a small bulletin board.

For furniture, I have trapezoid tables (I'll put 2 together to make hexagons) instead of desks :) and a nice size small-group table plus a writing center and a kitchen.  I'm not 100% sure what I will be doing with the layout yet, but as things get settled, I will post pictures.

The one thing I have decided on is the theme/color scheme for my classroom: Mickey Mouse!  While I love yellow, too much of it will drive me totally bananas, so I started thinking about what other colors I could add to it to make it a little more fun.  It just so happened my daughter was watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse while I was thinking through my options and it just clicked!  Each of my tables will be a different character (Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Donald, Daisy, Pluto) and the rest of my decorations will be primarily Mickey or red and black.

Well, I guess I had better get back to work!  I have a classroom to arrange!

No comments:

Post a Comment